Monday, September 06, 2004

New school....new challenge.

I've been assigned a new school and I went to map out my route. It's in an interesting suburban neighborhood. I spoke to my new master teacher and we had a great conversation on the phone and I'll meet her for the first time tomorrow morning. She has worked my schedule so that I do my classes, prep, tutorial, and lunch in one block of time. The class size as of right now is 13 9th graders and 5 8th graders.

The students are considered at-risk students, some of whom read between a 3rd-5th grading level. My niece kept singing the theme song to Dangerous Minds as we drove around the neighborhood. One of the great things that my master teacher said she was going to do was introduce me as a "traveling teacher."

She informed me that the curriculum for the 9th graders won't be ready until October! So we will be kind of creating lessons following the old curriculum. I'm looking forward to this new assignment. I know it's going to be a lot harder than my last one, but I'm in a much better place mentally and emotionally.

We will probably do introductions over the first few days. My master teacher teaches math and history and told me that my covering the English part is a big help. I do wonder how hard I can push them and what my boundaries and limits will be, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home