Tuesday, September 07, 2004

First Day

I was a little scared because this is a program called Options, which comprises of at-risk students. I felt that it was a good group of students, however, I've been told that the number may increase up to 25, maybe even 30. I'm not sure what Miss Reese will do next semester if that's the case. The staff that I've met so far have been friendly and helpful.

There are two separate class sessions: 9th in the morning, 8th in the afternoon. Each session is 3 hours long. Today the rules, regulations, and expectations were told to the students. I got a first hand look at the security/administration personnel as they sternly expressed what each student is responsible for.

We did a small math exercise, followed by a combination world history/English assignment. Had an hour break before the 8th grade class, which turned out to be only one student so far. That is one drawback to this class because students will be filtering in as the weeks progress. There are a few potential problem students, but I think they just need a little balance and focus. I kept reiterating how important their education is to them now, and in the future, and how all of them will be able to attend college if they work hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home