Sunday, November 28, 2004

Catching Up

Not much was happening since the last time I posted. Both classes had a story test and I was surprised at the number of 9th graders who did well. The essays were fair, however, not everyone turned one in so many will be staying after school this week to make it up. The day before the long weekend, I had them write a short Thanksgiving story by passing their papers to the right as they sat in a big circle. Each student adds something to the previous sentence. This exercise helps them build strong paragraphs that are coherent. I also handed out a Thanksgiving word search. Many of the students have trouble with spelling and I figured this would help them with word recognition.

The 8th graders have been great! Maybe it has something to do with my talker and quick tempered student being absent. Sure, some of the others can be just as challenging, but they are not as disruptive. I also gave them the same Thanksgiving word search.

It has been a fun weekend because I've been out of town visiting my family. I don't want to go back, however, I do miss the students and the funny things they do and say. I've encountered some pretty rude adults while out shopping with the holiday rush, and sometimes I would stop and think, "None of my students would ever be that rude." Or is that wishful thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home