Monday, September 13, 2004

Prepositions

I went over prepositions with the 9th graders today. Most of them seemed to understand, but there were a few that had trouble. I gave them a handout on nouns, 20 sentences, underline all the nouns. I noticed some difficulty, especially with idea nouns. I started going over literary terms with them and used Disney's Cinderella as the example of plot, conflict, climax, etc. I found out who cannot read very well because the students read a little and then passed the book along to someone else. I worry about some of the harder short stories that we'll be reading from the textbook. Only 6 students turned in their homework.

We have a third student in our 8th grade class now. The department chair dropped off a box of lessons that follow the Holt textbook. This makes my life a little easier because it's for 5 weeks. I discussed the story "Broken Chain" with the two that read it. I'm trying to get the new student up to speed. That is one of the hard parts about this assignment. A new student may show up and I've got to figure out a way to get them caught up with the rest. We had a little extra time, so I talked with the students about
college and careers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home