Sunday, October 24, 2004

Thursday and Friday

I know I just have the two classes but sometimes I'm a little tired from the day, and especially on Fridays, I just want to relax, but I think of my students during the weekend because sometimes I recall funny things they've done in class. For example with 9th grade, the proper use of "don't" and "doesn't." One phrase I keep hearing them say is "Don't be hating." So I used that phrase and various forms of that phrase (improperly) to show the difference between the two and also how one is used with plurals while the other is not. This helped them with their Holt handout because there were only a few errors when I corrected them. I didn't keep any of them after school on Friday because something suddenly came up and I couldn't stay. Imagine the joy in the land.

But overall, they worked very well both days and especially liked the climax and outcome of "The Cask of Amontillado." We'll be working a couple more days with the story, and I hope they will all do well on the test.

My talker was gone for most of the week and it was relatively quiet while she was gone. Also, the students were able to get their work done with very few distractions. However, when she came back, it was like working at an elementary school. But, I do admire her for speaking her mind when it comes to the literature. When she has something critical to say, or even when she challenges what someone else is saying, her boldness works for her. I wish she'd realize that she is smart and can accomplish anything, but her constant need to talk at inappropriate times is her weakness.

I arranged them in a circle to read and discuss "from Harriet Tubman." It was during the discussion that it dawned on me: We were all minorities. Each one had something to add to the discussion about racial tension or discrimination. At times, the discussion would go off on a tangent, but overall, the fact that they were discussing the story and it's importance was really good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home