Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Opposites

Susan and I came to a realization today: Sometimes the 9th graders listen to me more, most times the 8th graders listen to her more. But we agree that many of them need O-Class to finish missed assignments.

The 9th graders had a test on "Can Animals Think?" It was such a short article that I thought they would all read through it. However, that was not the case. Many of them couldn't match the definitions to the 5 vocabulary words. Here is where their grades are going to suffer. They have another test tomorrow on a short, short story, "Thank you, M'am." I had two of the students read and act as the characters and one student do the narration. This generated interest and most of the students read along with them. When they finished their tests, I gave them a little time to finish their homework. Progress reports come out next week and sad to say, 9 students are not progressing.

I had two students loose their way to their 8th grade class. Susan spent most of the first part of the class time trying to find them, as were campus supervision/security. We worked on compound nouns and verbs, and I had them write as many details as they could about the experience they plan on writing about in their personal narrative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home