Thursday, January 27, 2005

Finals

Both classes had finals this week. I felt that the English department final was flawed. I can understand the need for students to know about nouns, verbs, prepostions, and adjectives. But will they ever need to know and use a participial phrase, a gerund, an infinitive, or need to know adverbial phrases or predicate nominatives? NO!
In all my years in college, none of my English professors told me or wrote on my papers, "You should have used a gerund here. This predicate nominative is in the wrong place. Maybe an apositive would have been better than an infinitive."

I think they are realizing that I won't be there anymore. I've been wondering if I've made an impact on them. There are a few students who were constant challenges, and I won't be sad about not seeing them anymore. I know that sounds bad, but honestly, they're the kind of students who make a teacher's life miserable. For myself, I questioned my ability as a teacher. But I've realized that this "No Child Left Behind" crap is exactly that. Too much emphasis is placed on standardized test scores, which then is reflected on the teacher's qualifications. Granted there are some bad teachers out there, but nothing is ever said about the bad students who don't do any work, never study, and exhibit bad attitudes. I think the fear of being left behind a grade should be ingrained into every child's head. Also, severe punishment for any continued disruptive behavior. Students need to know that tougher consequences will be given. Maybe a three strikes law which also places more responsibility on the parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home