Tuesday, September 14, 2004

"Too much work!"

I tried a warm-up exercise with the 9th graders today: combining two small sentences into one. I used an overhead, read the directions with samples, and did the first one with them. I reviewed the literary terms and added 5 more. I gave them a parts of speech handout called, "Mister E an Miss Steaks." It is a paragraph of words that a "pea see" would "knot" correct if they used a spell "chequer." Some found it fun while others thought it was hard. We started reading "A Christmas Memory" aloud and I had them write about their most vivid Christmas memory they could remember.

I reviewed again, the elements of a story with "Broken Chain" with the 8th grade class. We discussed the events in the story that led up to the climax. I had them answer two of the discussion questions at the end of the story. Using the Holt grammar textbook, we discussed compound nouns. I was told by one of the students that she didn't know what a noun or verb was. So I went through a quick lesson on the two terms and will create a plan for them tomorrow, adding prepositions too. I had them create 5 sentences using the vocabulary from "Broken Chain," and then had them write a letter as if they were the main character, Alfonso, asking for advice to deal with his situations.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your postings. The class sounds so interesting! As a goup they will pose some challenges. I wonder how they got into the options class in the first place. I'm sure each one has a story - partied too much, difficulties at home, working a job for money. I also wonder what they hope to get ouyt of the options class. I'm sure one of the hopes is to get OUT of the options class, but do they want to come away from it knowing something.

A Christmas Memory is a tough read. The language is really difficult. One lesson I have done with this story is after they read it to break up the story into pieces and give each a group a piece. They reread the section identifying similes and metaphors and choose one to illustrate and present to the class. I did it to show how words paint pictures and evoke feelings.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way. You will have a supervisor who will contact you within the week to set up some observations.

I'm glad it is going well.
Chris

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home