Friday, May 27, 2005

I really dislike middle school

I worked at Montgomery High School on Wednesday. It was another English language learner class. They were also on block schedule which I don't care for. Fortunately, the teacher had a video for them to watch, The Grapes of Wrath. I thought it was something some of the students could relate to. I was amazed that some of them were paying attention. Some of the others took the opportunity to talk. One of the great things I learned was the use of an effective hall pass. The teacher used this big computer box with her room number on it. If the students needed to go to the restroom, I had them carry the box. There were a few that changed their minds after I told them that was what they had to use. This is something I plan on using with my classes. There was a cool car show put on by the school at lunch which was fun to walk around and look at. I didn't particularly care for the school, which isn't surprising, since I didn't like the middle school last week.

I worked at my old school, Granger, yesterday. I thought it was going to be an easy day because when I got there, the secretary told me it was a minimum day. As I looked at his roll book, most of the classes had 6-10 students. But, I realized after the first class, that they were all disruptive students. However, 4 of the periods were good. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the teacher left us The Simpsons to watch. 4th period had a couple of students I dealt with before. Foul mouthed and attitude problems. They are the kind of students that make teaching difficult. I was just glad it was a minimum day because I really couldn't see spending any more time with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home