Monday, September 27, 2004

Typical Monday

Is it the heat, the room, the fact that they have to sit for 3 hours? A little squirrely today and I had to drop the nice guy attitude and assign detention. I think they thought I was kidding. All it takes is a couple students to ruin it for the rest because there are a number of students who want to succeed. I introduced the 9th graders to adverbs today. I plan on working with them for a couple days on adverbs and usage before giving them the Holt worksheet, which in the past seemed a little difficult. The handouts I created help illustrate form and usage. I'll let them use them when they work on the Holt. I asked them to write about the "best day they ever had." I told them to include as many details as they can. They have a timed writing test on Thursday, so over the past couple of weeks I've had them writing, writing, and writing. And they complain, complain, and complain. However, I've noticed a few students improving their spelling and writing skills. Their first big essay is an "Autobiographical Narrative," which I've also been prepping them on.

It was catch-up day with the 8th graders. Two of the girls had to take quizzes and I had them work on the packet that accompanied
Flowers for Algernon. We should be done by tomorrow with the story test on Friday. There's never much to say about them because I don't encounter the same problems I do with the 9th graders.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. Life has been crazy (although that's not a good excuse as my life always seems to be crazy.) I have enjoyed reading about your experiences. I am pleased that things are working out. I am very impressed with your thoughtfulness. The activity you developed regarding respect and responsibility sounds like it was very powerful. Of course, with these students, it will be two step forward and one step back. There is a reason behind why each of these students has ended up in options.

I am glad that Flowers for Algernon is going well. I think that book is engaging. I have taught this book before. One of the things that I did was have the special ed teacher come in and talk to the students about disability and such. The students were very interested. You have probably already talked about this, but almost everyone's lives have been touched by severely mentally challenged people. There is another story called "Raymond's Run" by Toni Kincaid Bambera (I think that's her name ) that I think is in the 8th grade Holt series. Thias story is about a young girl who has a brother who is mentally disabled. It might make a good extension.

I'm sure you are following some kind of curriculum on the grammar. This is a tricky area. If you would like to talk about this, I have some suggestions that might help a bit. If you want to, give me a call at home at 291-8443.

It sounds like the students are making excellent progress on their writing. That will improve their reading as well, so it's a win-win. And it sounds like you are developing a good rapport with both the students and Ms. Reese. From what you have related here, she is a good role model. As for the administration, there is always tension between admin and teachers. This is particularly a problem now with the added pressure of having to raise test scores.

Michael, I am happy for you because though there are bad and difficult days, it appears that you are experienceing some rewards. May you continue to light up when yopu talk about teaching...

I know that Barry will be an asset for you.

Stay in touch.
Chris

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home