Wednesday, September 29, 2004

A very good day

It started with this horoscope:
The stars want you to have fun. And if you're not already having fun, expect festive interference from unlikely sources. For instance, imagine your door flying open as a pack of giggling children pour into your room. The innocent and naive turn out to be your best teachers. Those who work in education are probably quite familiar with this miracle already.

I picked 5 letters that had compelling reasons why I shouldn't assign any homework this weekend. I read them to the class without naming names. I then handed out an autobiographical narrative and we read and discussed each paragraph. Some students surprised me with their support or disagreement with the essay, which also brought up the fact that if the students take a position and write about it, they will encounter some opposition. I believe some of the students will do well on the writing exam tomorrow.

Two new students have joined the 8th grade class, which will change the environment. They are boys. It has been nice with just the three girls, but now there's an element of innocent flirting. It should be alright though, because the boys know it's their last chance to make good. I already saw a problem when they were brought in earlier. One of them defies authority. He might be a problem, but I left before he actually came into the class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home